Sunday, January 31, 2016

Week 4 Reading Reflection

I was surprised by the multiple kinds of innovation that the text presented. When I think of something "innovative", usually a cool product comes to mind, or maybe something that follows the lines of "building a better mouse trap". It was interesting to see it laid out into the 4 categories of invention, extension, duplication and expansion. I agreed with the author when they said that people put more emphasis on left-brain development than right-brain development. I was confused (and not totally sure I agree) with the author when he argued that people are inherently creative, and some of us choose to stifle that creativity. I think that perhaps our environment causes people to think analytically, but that doesn't necessarily mean we are purposefully negating inherently-creative thoughts. I would ask the author what they think people should do to increase their creativity and why they think society has placed such a focus on left-brain development.

No comments:

Post a Comment