Friday, February 5, 2016

Interviewing Customers No. 2


1. This round of interviews went a lot better than the last ones (in my humble opinion)! When I first interviewed potential customers, I asked them whether their parking needs were being met. I have fine tuned this opportunity to transportation in general, specifically when coming home from a late night out. My elevator pitch highlights the idea of Mid-Assist, or "MA", which is a school-sponsored set of vehicles that will take students home from midtown to their dorm/apartment.

2. The "who" of the interviews was pretty general. My questions required students who have been to midtown, which all of the interviewees had been, some of which frequenting the area at least once a week. The people chosen to be interviewed this round worked out better, since every person interviewed could use the potential service.

3. My interview questions asked were very different from the first set of customer interviews. I completely changed my opportunity based on my elevator pitch, allowing me to ask more specific questions. In my first interviews, I talked about how UF does not offer enough parking options for their students/faculty. While this may be true, offering a set of vehicles to take students to where they need to go is a much more plausible feat.

4. Interviews: Video posted above!

5. I think this opportunity will be a lot more plausible to implement, and could potentially help a greater percentage of students than my first opportunity.

6. Interviews are still a challenge! I think it will always be a little uncomfortable asking to interview/record people. However, practice makes perfect, and I hope to improve as time goes on. Three tips I would offer to future students would be to find a group of people to interview rather than one person so they can feed off of each others' responses, try to find someone to film it for you so that it's not just you holding a camera in someone's face, and to try not to be discouraged when someone doesn't agree with your idea.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Bianca,

    I agree with you, it did seem a lot easier to interview a group of people than one at a time. They did seem to feed of each other. Great idea, I might use it for my next batch of interviews.
    Yes, it does get easier with repetition. One starts to understand that the people you are interviewing are just as nervous as the interviewer. So it helps the interviewer relax a bit. I also like your suggestion to use a additional person to do the actual recording., it seems that that would take a little pressure of of both the interviewer and the interviewee.

    Good luck with your semester,
    -Dallin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bianca,
    I also agree that a group interview is easier to conduct although I, myself, used 1 on 1's. Perhaps, next time I will conduct group interviews to reduce awkward tension and whatnot.
    I think your idea is a good one. MA could potentially save a lot of people money on ubers and even maybe a DUI or two. The last thing we need in Gainesville, on top of everything that happens in campus alerts, is a bunch of drunk students driving around so I like your initiative in seeing this opportunity. If you would like to see my interviews go to: http://mitchallenent3003.blogspot.com/2016/02/customer-interviews-no-2.html
    Thanks,
    Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was interesting you did a group interview instead of doing individual interviews. It seems everyone was more comfortable being interviewed as a group rather doing individual interviews. I think your idea is a good one, especially in a college town as big as Gainesville. Their is a lot of opportunity with this idea with so many underage adults drinking and driving.

    ReplyDelete